Saturday, September 10, 2011

{a new memory}

“Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend–even a friend whose name it never knew. “- President George W. Bush, December 11, 2001

I don't know how old you were when the towers fell, but I was...young. And I remember it so vividly it hurts. Ten years ago today, I wasn't worried about much at all...ten years ago tomorrow, I was overwhelmed by the grief of our nation. While it is sad to remember the tragedy, loss and mourning, it is good to remember the bravery and self-sacrifice. It is good to remember that heroism is not a thing only found in fairy tales, but happens in real life. It is good to remember that men and women will rise to the occasion demanded of them...and it is very good to pray for the families of those who gave their all that day. They don't need a day to remember the lives that were sacrificed, their everyday lives serve as reminders in the absence of loved ones. 

2 comments:

  1. It was a definitely turning point in our country. So wonderful to have found your blog :) XO Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very eloquently said. I was young when the Twin Towers fell too (I was 18) & I understand what you mean by the wound still being raw.

    Glad to have found your blog. I like your quotes.

    e

    ReplyDelete