Tuesday, September 6, 2011

{the promise}

Last night, my little family and I attended the wedding of a very dear childhood friend. It was truly one of the most beautiful weddings I have ever attended, and one of the most sincere and sweetest marriages to witness. My husband and I always seem to attend a wedding after we have had some petty disagreement or another, and I am always convicted of my selfishness at every wedding ceremony. The sweetness of last night has refreshed my spirit, and reminded me in a much-needed way of the sacredness of the covenant I have with my husband.

The first dance of this lovely couple as husband and wife was "Dancing in the Minefields" by Andrew Peterson...this was the first time I had heard of this artist (and this song!)...I just love it. Here's a snippet:


I was nineteen, you were twenty-one
The year we got engaged
Everyone said we were much too young
But we did it anyway...
We went sailing in the storm
And it was harder than we dreamed
But I believe that's what the promise is for
"I do" are the two most famous last words 
The beginning of the end
But to lose your life for another I've heard 
Is a good place to begin
'Cause the only way to find your life
Is to lay your own life down
And I believe it's an easy price 
For the life that we have found
'Cause we bear the light of the Son of Man
So there's nothing left to fear 
So I'll walk with you in the shadowlands 
'Til the shadows disappear 
'Cause He promised not to leave us
And His promises are true
So in the face of all this chaos, baby, 
I can dance with you


Dancing in the Minefields ~ Andrew Peterson




No comments:

Post a Comment